GRAND FORKS, N.D. - In an effort to continue to make Fighting Sioux men's hockey games the best fan experience in college hockey, the University of North Dakota and Ralph Engelstad Arena have combined to institute some new fan initiatives.
"After much public discussion through e-mails surveys of our season ticket holders and communication with our students, we feel we have put together some measures that will enhance the atmosphere at our home men's hockey games," said UND athletics director Brian Faison.
"The overriding sentiment from our fans is that they love the energy in the building, but we need to make sure the passion of all of our fans is directed in a positive fashion."
To that end, several steps will be taken this weekend for the home men's hockey series against St. Cloud State and additional measures will be implemented throughout the remainder of the 2009-10 home men's hockey season and beyond.
Some of the initiatives that will implemented include a series of positive sportsmanship videos on the scoreboard, communication and enforcement of the new University of North Dakota and Ralph Engelstad Arena Fan Code Of Conduct, proactive alcohol enforcement measures and increased promotion of the Guest Help Line.
The Ralph Engelstad Arena's Guest Help Line allows fans to text or call the Ralph Engelstad Arena Guest Services department during a game to report the location of inappropriate behavior.
"We feel it's in the best interest of all parties to continue to create a positive, safe and enjoyable atmosphere in the building," said Ralph Engelstad Arena General Manager Jody Hodgson. "We're committed to improving the fan experience - in every way we can, from the time our fans arrive in the parking lot to the time when they depart at the end of the night."
To that end, the University of North Dakota and the Ralph Engelstad Arena have developed a new Fan Code of Conduct that sets clear expectations and encourages an event environment that is enjoyable for all.
The University of North Dakota and the Ralph Engelstad Arena will continue to work with all of their customers to communicate expectations, receive feedback, and then refine and create additional initiatives.
Ralph Engelstad Arena and University of North Dakota
Fan Code of Conduct
Ralph Engelstad Arena and the University of North Dakota are committed to providing a safe, comfortable and enjoyable event experience for all fans and event participants. The Fan Code of Conduct is designed to set clear expectations and encourage an event environment that is enjoyable for all. Ralph Engelstad Arena and the University of North Dakota strive to encourage good sportsmanship, and that includes appropriate fan behavior.
We ask all fans to adhere to the following Fan Code of Conduct in order to meet these goals:
- Abusive language or disorderly conduct is unacceptable and unwelcome. Profanity, racial or sexist comments or intimidating actions directed at the student-athletes, coaches or officials will not be tolerated.
- Fans shall not interfere unduly with anyone else's right and opportunity to enjoy the event.
- Fans shall refrain from throwing objects and/or possessing prohibited items.
- Fans who consume alcoholic beverages shall do so in a responsible manner. Intervention with an intoxicated or underage guest will be handled in a prompt and safe manner. Fans appearing intoxicated will be denied entry and/or subject to ejection.
- Offensive or obscene messages on signs or clothing will not be permitted.
- Fans will be courteous to visiting teams and guests. We will cheer for the Sioux, not against our opponents.
- Fans shall comply with the directions and instructions of Ralph Engelstad Arena staff regarding Arena operations and emergency response procedures.
- Season ticket holders are responsible for their conduct as well as the conduct of their guests and/or persons occupying their seats.
Fans shall be treated in a professional and courteous manner by all Ralph Engelstad Arena staff and University of North Dakota personnel.
During games, contact the nearest Ralph Engelstad Arena staff member or text or call our Guest Help Line at (701) 740-5495 if another fan is interfering with your enjoyment of the game. Following the game, please contact us at email@example.com if you would like to report inappropriate fan behavior.
Fans not adhering to the Fan Code of Conduct provisions may be subject to ejection without refund and may also be subject arrest and prosecution.
Ralph Engelstad Arena and the University of North Dakota thank you for your commitment to creating a safe and enjoyable experience for all fans.
- Go Sioux -