Sacramento, Calif. - The University of North Dakota men’s tennis team fell 7-0 to Sacramento State on Saturday at the Rio Del Oro Racquet Club in Big Sky Conference action.
The doubles point went to Sacramento State. The Hornets won the first two doubles matches, securing the point. The third match between North Dakota’s junior Josh Oothoudt (Minot, N.D.) and freshman Connor Oberle (Excelsior, Minn.) and Sacramento State’s Aliaksandr Malko and Tom Miller was not completed.
In singles action, the Hornets swept UND by winning all six singles matches.
Two of the singles matches went to three sets. In No. 1 singles, Oothoudt was defeated by Malko 6-4 in the first set. Oothoudt came back to take the second set 7-5, but fell in the final set.
Junior Ryan McGuigan (Fargo, N.D.) went to three sets in his match against Roy Brandys. McGuigan won the first set 6-4, but Brandys rallied to win the second and third sets.
North Dakota returns to Grand Forks, N.D. to take on St. Cloud State at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 6 at the Choice Health and Fitness Center.
Sacramento State 7, North Dakota 0
1. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. OOTHOUDT, Josh (UND_M) 6-4, 5-7, 10-4
2. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. MCGUIGAN, Ryan (UND_M) 4-6, 6-2, 10-8
3. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. OBERLE, Connor (UND_M) 6-3, 6-0
4. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. BAKKE, Grant (UND_M) 6-2, 6-2
5. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. LEE, Joe (UND_M) 6-0, 6-1
6. RAAG, Henrik (SAC) def. BIERNAT, Will (UND_M) 6-4, 6-0
1. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MILLER, Tom (SAC) vs. OOTHOUDT, Josh/OBERLE, Connor (UND_M) 6-3, unfinished
2. KOLAR, Sean/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. MCGUIGAN, Ryan/BAKKE, Grant (UND_M) 8-2
3. RAAG, Henrik/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. BIERNAT, Will/LEE, Joe (UND_M) 8-1