GRAND FORKS, N.D. – Fourteen of the University of North Dakota’s 19 athletics teams boasted a grade point average of 3.0 or better in 2012-13, punctuating another outstanding year in the classroom.
UND’s 403 student-athletes combined to achieve a 3.168 GPA during the 2012-13 academic year, just shy of last year’s school-record 3.173. Sixty-eight percent (272 out of 403) of the student-athletes achieved a 3.0 GPA during the Spring 2013 semester, including 63 with a perfect 4.0 GPA. Twenty-five of UND’s student-athletes boast cumulative 4.0 GPAs, up from 13 one year ago.
“What more can be said about our student-athletes’ success in the classroom this past year than, ‘Wow,’” said UND Athletics Director Brian Faison. “[Assistant athletics director] Amanda Hajdu and her staff continue to do an incredible job supporting our student-athletes in their classroom endeavors. At UND, the ‘student’ really does come first for our student-athletes and coaches.”
All 10 of UND’s female teams achieved at least a 3.0 GPA during the 2012-13 academic year, combining for a remarkable 3.398 average among them. The top team GPA belonged to Brian Idalski’s women’s hockey team, which recorded a 3.638 GPA in 2012-13. Women’s volleyball (3.544), women’s basketball (3.537), women’s cross country (3.461), women’s golf (3.422), women’s swimming (3.389), women’s track (3.339), men’s tennis (3.258), women’s soccer (3.250) and men’s track (3.242) rounded out UND’s top 10 team GPAs.
The performance of UND’s student-athletes in the classroom earned plenty of recognition in 2012-13:
- Kirsten Haas (track), Jocelyne Lamoureux (hockey) and Monique Lamoureux (hockey) earned Academic All-America honors.
- Nick Mattson (hockey), Veronica Medon (swimming) and Ronni Munkeby (volleyball) earned Academic All-District honors.
- Jocelyne Lamoureux and Brett Cameron (football) both earned a NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship.
- Jocelyne Lamoureux was named WCHA Most Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year for the second straight season.
- A school-record 186 student-athletes earned academic all-conference honors, shattering the previous record of 115.
- Men’s and women’s cross country each earned 2012 USTFCCCA Division I All-Academic Team honors.
- Women’s golfers Robin Hutchinson, Shantel Montgomery and Abbie Mozzetti were named to the 2012-13 Women’s Golf Coaches Association Division I All-American Scholar Team.
- Sixty-three student-athletes were named to the Dean’s List and 47 were named to the President’s List in Spring 2013.