Omaha, Neb. - The University of North Dakota women's tennis team was defeated Friday evening by the University of Nebraska Omaha 4-3 in close match at the Hanscom Brandeis Tennis Center.
The Mavericks earned the doubles point with 8-1 and 8-5 scores. The lone doubles win for UND came from the duo of juniors Stephanie Petsis (Toronto, Ontario) and Stephanie Biehn (Sherburn, Minn.) in No. 1 doubles defeating Alex Tran and Jacqueline Baude by an 8-3 score.
In singles play, UND won three of the six matches. Petsis beat Tran in No. 1 singles 6-4, 7-5 and Biehn defeated Lindsay Weideman with 6-1, 6-3 scores. Sophomore Shaylin Prout (Thunder Bay, Ontario) defeated Rachel Pierson in No. 6 singles with a score of 6-3, 6-3.
UND will play for its first road win of the season Saturday evening when they take on Creighton at the Hanscom Brandeis Tennis Center.
Omaha 4, North Dakota 3
1. PETSIS, Stephanie (UND_W) def. TRAN, Alex (UNO) 6-4, 7-5
2. MATRICARDI, Molly (UNO) def. RONKOWSKI, Callie (UND_W) 6-4, 6-2
3. BIEHN, Stephanie (UND_W) def. WEIDEMAN, Lindsay (UNO) 6-1, 6-3
4. PIERSON, Emily (UNO) def. STEJSKAL, Sarah (UND_W) 6-0, 6-1
5. BAUDE, Jacqueline (UNO) def. SWEEN, Megan (UND_W) 7-6, 6-2
6. PROUT, Shaylin (UND_W) def. PIERSON, Rachel (UNO) 6-3, 6-3
1. PETSIS, Stephanie/BIEHN, Stephanie (UND_W) def. TRAN, Alex/BAUDE, Jacqueline (UNO) 8-3
2. Tiffany Hottman/MATRICARDI, Molly (UNO) def. STEJSKAL, Sarah/PROUT, Shaylin (UND_W) 8-1
3. PIERSON, Emily/PIERSON, Rachel (UNO) def. RONKOWSKI, Callie/SWEEN, Megan (UND_W) 8-5