Omaha, Neb. - The University of North Dakota men's tennis team won its first match of the season on Friday evening with a 5-2 victory over Nebraska-Omaha at the Hanscom Brandeis Tennis Center.
The Mavericks started the night off strong by winning the doubles point. The lone win for UND came from the duo of freshman Connor Oberle (Excelsior, Minn.) and junior Josh Oothoudt (Minot, N.D.) who defeated Conner Tieszen and Carlos Ramos Salazar by a score of 8-3.
UND then went on to win five of the six singles competitions. North Dakota received victories from Oberle, Oothoudt, sophomore Joe Lee (Grand Forks, N.D.), junior Grant Bakke (Bismarck, N.D.) and freshman Will Biernat (Eagan, Minn.).
UND will look for its second win of the season on Saturday against Creighton University.
North Dakota 5, Omaha 2
1. Conner Tieszen (UNO) def. MCGUIGAN, Ryan (UND_M) 6-4, 6-7, 10-6
2. OOTHOUDT, Josh (UND_M) def. Eric McKnight (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
3. OBERLE, Connor (UND_M) def. Connor Larson (UNO) 7-6, 6-0
4. LEE, Joe (UND_M) def. Carlos Ramos Salazar (UNO) 6-4, 6-4
5. BAKKE, Grant (UND_M) def. Matt Frost (UNO) 6-4, 6-4
6. BIERNAT, Will (UND_M) def. Erik Anderson (UNO) 6-3, 6-4
1. OBERLE, Connor/OOTHOUDT, Josh (UND_M) def. Conner Tieszen/Carlos Ramos Salazar (UNO) 8-3
2. Eric McKnight/Erik Anderson (UNO) def. BAKKE, Grant/MCGUIGAN, Ryan (UND_M) 8-6
3. Matt Frost/Connor Larson (UNO) def. VIGEN, Jared/BERGSTROM, David (UND_M) 8-3