Portland, Ore. - The North Dakota men's tennis team fell by a score of 7-0 to Big Sky Conference competitor Portland State on Wednesday afternoon at the Peter W. Stott Center. The match marked the first competition that the Vikings have hosted in conference play.
Portland State earned the doubles point, winning all three matches. In No. 1 doubles, juniors Josh Oothoudt (Minot, N.D.) and Grant Bakke (Bismarck, N.D.) were defeated 8-2 by Stratton Gilmore and Brent Wheeler. Freshmen Connor Oberle (Excelsior, Minn.) and Will Biernat (Eagan, Minn.) lost by a score of 8-1 to the Vikings Ian Risenhoover and Antoine Bechmann in No. 2 doubles.
The closest doubles match came from the duo of junior Ryan McGuigan (Fargo, N.D.) and sophomore Joe Lee (Grand Forks, N.D.) who fell by a score of 8-3 to Abhinav Mishra and Alec Marx in No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, the Vikings won all six matches. Oothoudt and McGuigan both brought their matches to three sets.
In No.1 singles, Oothoudt lost his first match to Bechmann by a score of 6-4, but fought back by evening the match with a 6-4 win. Bechmann won the third set 6-3.
McGuigan was also defeated in his first match, losing to Gilmore 6-4. McGuigan rallied in the second set with a 6-1 victory, but eventually fell in the third set 6-1 in No. 2 singles.
North Dakota is now 1-6 on the season and 0-3 in conference play.
UND will look for its first Big Sky win next Friday when it takes on Montana at 1 p.m. at the Choice Health and Fitness Center.
Portland State 7, North Dakota 0
1. BECHMANN, Antoine (PSU) def. OOTHOUDT, Josh (UND) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2. GILMORE, Stratton (PSU) def. MCGUIGAN, Ryan (UND) 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
3. GILMORE, Connor (PSU) def. OBERLE, Connor (UND) 6-1, 6-0
4. WHEELER, Brent (PSU) def. LEE, Joe (UND) 7-5, 6-4
5. KORTUS, Lukas (PSU) def. BAKKE, Grant (UND) 7-5, 6-1
6. RISENHOOVER, Ian (PSU) def. BIERNAT, Will (UND) 6-2, 7-5
1. GILMORE, Stratton/WHEELER, Brent (PSU) def. OOTHOUDT, Josh/BAKKE, Grant (UND) 8-2
2. RISENHOOVER, Ian/BECHMANN, Antoine (PSU) def. OBERLE, Connor/BIERNAT, Will (UND) 8-1
3. MISHRA, Abhinav/MARX, Alec (PSU) def. MCGUIGAN, Ryan/LEE, Joe (UND) 8-3