University of North Dakota
Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is a leadership committee made up of student-athlete representatives from each sports program. The NCAA requires the sponsorship of the SAAC. The SAAC is an excellent vehicle to promote communication between the Department of Athletics and student-athletes. The Department of Athletics has a wealth of information that needs to be routinely distributed to student-athletes and at the same time, is interested in receiving feedback from student-athletes about departmental policies and structure. The purpose of the SAAC includes the following:
- Generating a student-athlete voice within the department by meeting, at least monthly, to discuss current issues in intercollegiate athletics and evaluate and suggest improvements regarding departmental policy and procedures;
- Soliciting student-athlete responses to proposed NCAA legislation;
- Creating a vehicle for student-athlete representation on campus-wide committees;
- Assisting the Department of Athletics in addressing the needs and concerns of the student-athletes;
- Planning and implementing activities and programs to enhance the student-athlete experience;
- Organizing community service efforts; and
- Helping to promote life-long leadership skills in SAAC members and other student-athletes.
SAAC typically meets on Sunday nights at 6:30 p.m. in the Badlands Room in the Memorial Union. All UND teams are required to have two representatives at each meeting. Meeting dates and sites are announced at the beginning of each academic year and sent to all student-athletes via their university email accounts.