The Intercollegiate Athletics Committee (IAC) shall report to the University Senate. The chair of the IAC is responsible for submitting an annual report to the University Senate and for apprising the University Senate, in a timely manner, of any committee actions requiring University Senate action.
The Intercollegiate Athletics Committee serves as an advisory committee to the President of the University making recommendations on matters pertaining to institutional control of the athletics program; the academic and financial integrity of intercollegiate athletics; the academic and personal well-being of student-athletes; gender equity; non-discrimination and diversity; and the accountability of the athletics program to the values and mission of the University of North Dakota.
Senior Woman Administrator
Alumni (two, preferably one male and one female)
Students (three, two of which are student-athletes)
Faculty Athletics Representative
Athletics Director- concurrent with position
Senior Woman Administrator- concurrent with position
Coach- one year
Alumni- three years
Faculty- three years
Students- one year
Faculty Athletics Representative- concurrent with appointment
Alumni - appointed by the UND Alumni and Foundation Board of Directors in June and assuming duties July 1, with one term expiring each year; no more than three consecutive terms.
Faculty- elected by the University Senate in April and assuming duties July 1; three-year terms with three elected each year; no more than two consecutive terms.
Student- appointed by the Student Body President in April and assuming duties July 1.
Student-Athlete- one woman and one man will be chosen by the Student Athlete Advisory Committee in April and assuming duties July 1.
Faculty Athletics Representative- appointed by the President of the University
Head Coach- selected annually by the head coaches in May and assuming duties July 1.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITES
Each IAC member will serve on at least one subcommittee from the areas detailed below. The core responsibilities of each subcommittee are also detailed below. Each subcommittee will be chaired by a faculty voting member of the IAC, who will be responsible for holding meetings and providing reports to IAC. The Director of Athletics will appoint a member of the athletics department to serve as liaison for each subcommittee. Each subcommittee will comprise at least three (3) voting members.
Subcommittee on Academic Integrity & Student-Athlete Well-Being
- Review the athletic department's compliance with regard to admissions, the academic performance and progress of student-athletes toward graduation
- Review the development of general athletics policies related to academic matters
- Monitor the impact of scheduling on student-athletes' academic performance
- Review programs in place for student-athlete physical and emotional well-being
Subcommittee on Governance and Compliance
- Review compliance with conference and NCAA regulations
- Participate in the development of recommendations regarding the addition/elimination of sports programs
- Monitor athletics lettering policies
- Participate in recommendations regarding conference affiliation
Subcommittee on Fiscal Integrity
- Review the athletics budget and media contracts
- Assess fundraising and marketing efforts
Subcommittee on Equity and Diversity
- Monitor the athletics department's efforts to ensure equity between women's and men's programs
- Review the athletics department's efforts regarding non-discrimination and diversity
Subcommittee on Fan Experience/Behavior & Facilities
- Review fan behavior policies for each home venue
- Evaluate facility contracts of the athletics department
- Assess fan experience programs
The full IAC will meet twice a semester with additional meetings scheduled as needed. The subcommittees will meet at least once a semester with additional meetings scheduled as needed.
In addition to serving on standing subcommittees, at least one member of the IAC will be appointed by the IAC chair to search committees for senior administration, head coaches and academic oversight positions within the athletics department. On these search committees, voting membership will include the FAR and the member of the IAC appointed by the IAC chair. The Director of Athletics will appoint the chair of the search committee and will appoint all remaining members of the committee. Any member of the IAC not appointed by the IAC chair to the committee may be appointed to any search committee at the discretion of the Director of Athletics. The committee as a whole is encouraged to participate in the interview process for senior administration officials, head coaches and academic oversight positions within the athletics department.
REPORT TO SENATE
Prepare an annual report which addresses each function or responsibility and submit their effects on athletics and academics at the University.