GRAND FORKS, N.D. – All-America defenseman Tucker Poolman has been voted the University of North Dakota's Most Valuable Player by his teammates, highlighting the team's 2016-17 awards that were announced on Tuesday by head coach Brad Berry.
Poolman, who signed with the National Hockey League's Winnipeg Jets following the season, won the team's Jeff Anderson Hockey Scholarship as the team MVP, joining Dillon Simpson (2013-14) as the only defensemen to win the award since the turn of the century.
A native of East Grand Forks, Minn., Poolman earned AHCA/CCM All-America West First Team honors as a junior after collecting seven goals and a team-leading 23 assists in 38 games. He was named to the All-NCHC First Team and was tabbed as the league's first-ever recipient of the NCHC Defensive Defenseman of the Year Award.
Poolman also received UND's Plus/Minus Award after leading the Fighting Hawks with a plus-18 rating.
UND's other 2016-17 team award recipients included:
Cliff “Fido” Purpur Award: Shane Gersich (Sophomore, Forward)
- Given to the player who exemplifies hard work, determination and being a creator of excitement on the ice
- An All-NCHC Honorable Mention after leading the team with career-high 21 goals and 37 points
Archie Krum Memorial Athletic Scholarship: Matt Hrynkiw (Senior, Goaltender)
- Given to the player who demonstrates leadership qualities, high academic standards and athletic excellence
- Co-recipient of the NCHC Sportsmanship Award and a NCHC All-Academic Team selection
Tom Hoghaug Memorial Scholarship: Colton Poolman (Freshman, Defenseman)
- Given to the freshman who demonstrates initiative, character and a sense of responsibility
- Collected two goals and 10 assists in 40 games and was a plus-5
Rookie of the Year: Tyson Jost (Forward)
- Named to the NCHC All-Rookie Team and was UND's Male Freshman of the Year (all sports)
- Set school record for faceoff percentage (60.1) and ranked second among NCHC freshmen in points per game (1.06)
Most Improved Player: Andrew Peski (Freshman, Defenseman)
- Played in each of UND's final 18 games after appearing in only 11 prior to the New Year
- Finished the season with three assists in 29 games
Coaches' Unsung Hero Award (co-recipient): Trevor Olson (Junior, Forward)
- Scored a team-leading nine points in seven games in March after having scored 14 points in his previous 86 games
- Finished the season with career highs in points (16), goals (6), assists (10) and games played (38)
Coaches' Unsung Hero Award (co-recipient): Austin Poganski (Junior, Forward)
- Assistant captain scored career-high 12 goals and matched career best with 25 points
- NCHC Scholar-Athlete and NCHC All-Academic Team honoree
Virg Foss 3-Star Award: Brock Boeser (Sophomore, Forward)
- Award is given to the player who receives the most 3-star voting points following home games
- Was named 1st star four times and 2nd star once
North Dakota went 21-16-3 in 2016-17 and qualified for the NCAA Tournament for the 15th straight season, the longest active streak in NCAA Division I men's hockey.