Outside Competition During Academic Year
Outside Aid Award Form
Student-athlete under enrolled form for last term
RULES GOVERNING ENROLLED STUDENT-ATHLETES
Extra Benefits A student-athlete is prohibited from receiving any extra benefit. If a student-athlete accepts any benefit based on his or her athletic ability, that athlete may lose all eligibility for intercollegiate athletics participation. Additionally, boosters involved would be forced to disassociate from the university's athletic program. Extra benefits that are prohibited, include, but are not limited to the following:
- A loan of money;
- Use of an automobile;
- Signing or co-signing a note with an outside agency to arrange a loan;
- Providing professional services at no charge or a reduced rate; or
- Purchasing a meal or beverage for a student-athlete.
Employment of Enrolled Student-Athletes
NCAA rules require that the student-athlete and employer sign a written statement prior to the commencement of employment confirming that the employment satisfies NCAA regulations. Forms are available at the UND Athletic Office. Compensation must be based on work actually performed and at a rate commensurate with the going rate in the locality for services of like character.
Rules Governing Student-Athlete Participation in Promotional Activities
Use of a student-athlete's name, picture or appearance to support any charitable, educational or non-profit promotional activity requires the signature of the student-athlete and the authorized representative of the event on a release statement that requires written approval from the Director of Athletics. Forms can be obtained from the UND Athletics Department, (701) 777-2234. Furthermore, student-athletes are not permitted to be involved in the advertisement, recommendation or promotion of a commercial organization for sales or use of a commercial product or service of any kind. Please contact the athletic department before asking any enrolled student-athlete to take part in any activity.
NCAA rules do not permit student-athletes to knowingly:
- provide information to individuals involved in organized gambling activities concerning intercollegiate athletics competition;
- solicit or accept a bet on any intercollegiate team; or
- participate in any gambling activity that involves intercollegiate athletics or professional athletics through a bookmaker, a parlay card or any other method employed by organized gambling.
- risk anything of value (i.e. carwash, cash, laundry) on any outcome or aspect of any sport that the NCAA sponsors a national championship in at any level — i.e. midget football, high school football, college football, or the NFL.
A student-athlete shall be ineligible for participation if he or she agrees, orally or in writing, to be represented by an agent. This includes any agreements for future negotiations that are to take place after the individual has completed his or her eligibility in that sport. Additionally, student-athletes and their relatives are prohibited from accepting any benefits, including meals or transportation, from an agent. Please contact the Compliance Office if you are an agent looking to speak with an UND student-athlete or if you would like additional information on this topic.