UND (7-4-1) at Wichita State (9-5)
Tuesday, March 12- 3pm
Wednesday, March 13- 3pm
Video and Audio feeds: goshockers.com
Live stats: UNDSports.com
North Dakota continues its Spring Break trip with a swing through Wichita State for a pair followed by a trek to Creighton. The Thursday finale will be played at T.D. Ameritrade Park, home of the College World Series.
• North Dakota has etched seven wins this season as of March 8. Last season, UND earned win number seven on April 25.
• Junior Jacob Threlkeld tied a UND single-game record with four stolen bases in a 10-6 win over Mount Marty on Feb. 18. He leads UND with seven steals in eight tries this season.
• Sophomore Andrew Thome’s no-hitter to open the season was the sixth in UND history. He notched his sixth career game going the distance without allowing an earned run (four shutouts).
• In his 15 career starts, Thome has completed eight of those including two of his three starts this season.
• Sophomore Jeff Campbell earned his first career shutout with a 2-0 blanking of St. Cloud State on Feb. 25. Campbell’s first career win came in a nine-inning complete game win at Creighton, allowing a single unearned run with 4 strikeouts (Mar. 16, 2012).
• North Dakota has four batters hitting over .300 in the early going led by Ryan Reese’s .375 mark in seven starts.
• Sophomore Tyler Follis set a UND single-season record with 71 hits in his freshman campaign.
• The North Dakota pitching staff returns 85.3 percent of its innings pitched from last season. Sophomores Thome and Campbell made up 168.2 innings (37.3%) of the team’s total (452.2) in 2012.
• Sophomore Sam Alt has made the most of his starts, reaching base in all seven starts for the longest current reached-base streak on the squad.
ALL-TIME VS. WICHITA STATE
The Shockers lead the all-time series with UND at 9-0. All nine of those contests have been played at Eck Stadium over the past three seasons. The club dropped two games in 2010, lost all three in 2011 to a Shockers club that was ranked No. 23 in the country at the time and dropped four last season.
THE SKINNY ON THE SHOCKERS
Wichita State is led by veteran head coach Gene Stephenson, who is in his 36th year guiding the club. He recently surpassed the 1,800-win plateau, which is the second most in NCAA history and five of his clubs have advanced to the College World Series, including the 1989 National Champions.
Stephenson’s 2013 Shockers have a 9-5 record after an 0-3 start. They are 4-4 at home this season with wins over Oral Roberts, Nebraska-Omaha and Texas-Pan American (2). Taylor Doggett carries the top batting average on the team at .400 while Casey Gillaspie has walloped a team-best five dingers with 18 runs batted in.
OFF TO THE WAC
In February, the Western Athletic Conference announced that an invitation for affiliate membership has been issued to and accepted by the University of North Dakota to join the conference in baseball starting with the 2013-14 academic year.
North Dakota will join fellow current-Great West Conference members Chicago State, Northern Colorado, Texas-Pan American and Utah Valley as additions to the WAC for next season.
UND already has a relationship with the WAC as the women’s swimming team is an affiliate member in its second season in the league. The addition will give the WAC a total of 10 teams for baseball as North Dakota will join CSU Bakersfield, Chicago State, Grand Canyon, New Mexico State, Northern Colorado, Sacramento State, Seattle U, Texas-Pan American and Utah Valley in 2014.
GLANCE AT THE GREAT WEST
North Dakota will be playing its fourth and final season in the Great West Conference in 2013. Utah Valley has won each of the league’s regular season and tournament titles. The conference season will culminate in Newark, N.J. May 21-26.
The other six members of the league are Chicago State, Houston Baptist, New York Tech, NJIT, Northern Colorado and Texas-Pan American. The Great West is the second conference affiliation for UND in program history. UND spent its Division II years playing in the North Central Conference.