HARLINGEN, Texas -- For the first time since joining the Great West Conference, North Dakota will not advance to the GWC Tournament championship match.
Fifth-seeded Chicago State defeated the fourth-seeded Fighting Sioux 4-1 this morning in the quarterfinals, ending UND's run of back-to-back conference runner-up finishes. The Sioux will face CSU Bakersfield tomororw morning in the fifth-place match.
Junior Mindy Lawrence (Grand Rapids, Minn.) picked up the lone victory for the Sioux, defeating Mysta Townsell in No. 5 singles, 6-0 and 6-4.
UND and CSU Bakersfield will square off at 9 a.m. at the HEB Tennis Center.
1. Stephanie Petsis (UND) vs. Karyn Emeralda (CSU) 2-6, 1-2, unfinished
2. Lina Tejoprayitno (CSU) def. Stephanie Biehn (UND) 6-1, 6-1
3. Lia Tejoprayitno (CSU) def. Sarah Stejskal (UND) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ruta Grinvalde (CSU) def. Megan Sween (UND) 6-3, 6-3
5. Mindy Lawrence (UND) def. Mysta Townsell (CSU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Lindsey Viegut (UND) vs. Mia Townsell (CSU) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
1. Lina Tejoprayitno/Lia Tejoprayitno (CSU) def. Stephanie Petsis/Stephanie Biehn (UND) 8-4
2. Ruta Grinvalde/Karyn Emeralda (CHIST) def. Sarah Stejskal/Megan Sween (UND) 8-4
3. Mindy Lawrence/Lindsey Viegut (UND) vs. Mysta Townsell/Mia Townsell (CHIST) 5-6, unfinished