Cedar Falls, Iowa – The University of North Dakota women’s tennis team fell in a close match against Creighton University on Saturday, Feb. 8.
North Dakota played strong in the doubles competition, winning two of the three matches to earn the point. Junior Callie Ronkowski (Grand Forks, N.D.) and freshman Faith Lee (Andover, Minn.) defeated Analese Snyder and Amanda Noonan in No. 2 doubles.
In No. 3 doubles, the duo of freshmen Mikaela Bennett (Calgary, Alberta) and Lacey Sprinkel (Minneapolis, Minn.) beat the Sam Anderson and Liz Vermillion.
Ronkowski also had a successful singles match, defeating Synder in No. 2 singles.
Senior Stephanie Biehn (Sherburn, Minn.) also won her singles match, edging Vermillion in three sets.
North Dakota open play in Grand Forks on February 14 when it takes on Big Sky Conference opponent Weber State.
Creighton 4, North Dakota 3
Doubles: (North Dakota wins doubles point, 2-1)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Hartjes/Nelson (CU) def. Petsis/Biehn (UND); 6-2
2. Ronkowski/Lee (UND) def. Snyder/Noonan (CU); 6-0
3. Bennett/Sprinkel (UND) def. Anderson/Vermillion (CU); 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 6, 5
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Stephanie Petsis (UND); 7-5, 6-1
2. Callie Ronkowski (UND) def. Analese Snyder (CU); 6-3, 6-2
3. Katherine Nelsen (CU) def. Lacey Sprinkel (UND) ; 6-3, 6-3
4. Stephanie Biehn (UND) def. Liz Vermillion (CU); 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (1)
5. Amanda Noonan (CU) def. Faith Lee (UND); 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (9)
6. Sam Anderson (CU def. Mikaela Bennett (UND); 6-3, 6-2