Each day of fall camp, the staff at UNDSports.com will put together a daily report and feature a student-athlete in its #BrickByBrick countdown. Stay tuned to the official website, Instagram (UNDFootball) and Twitter (@UNDFootball) for all the up-to-date information leading up to the season opener vs. Valparaiso on Aug. 29.
COUNTDOWN TO KICKOFF: 21 Days
2013 Media Day Booklet (contains roster, depth chart, bios, 2012 stats)
The first two-a-day of fall camp is in the books and head coach Chris Mussman continues to praise his team for the work it has put in and, more importantly, for the tempo the players are showing on the practice field for every workout.
Mussman liked the tempo so much in the morning session that the second practice of the day was limited to just helmets and no pads. The 20-period session in the A.M. was heavy on new installation and the chains came out for the first time to present varying situations for the offense and defense.
- Today's two-a-day session was the first of six schedule for the UND football team.
- The team was in full pads for the second time of fall camp, but did not go through any "live" drills where ball carries were taken to the ground.
- Dan Hammer of MidCo Sports Network was on hand to work on several features for the upcoming season of UND Sports Extra. Those interviewed today were offensive lineman Joe Kleason and Shea Walker, who both prepped at Cretin-Derham Hall in St. Paul, Minn., and played youth football together growing up.
- The defense and offense swapped some big plays in the passing games throughout the morning session. There were several interceptions and the offense returned the favor with some big pass plays as both sides continue to work hard. Among those with interceptions were Chris Hall, Chris Brown, Brandon Larson and Rumeal Harris. Sophomore Kenny Golladay caught a nice post route behind the defense as well.
- Senior Greg Hardin made one of the jaw-dropping catches reminiscent of his catch at Portland State that ended up as the No. 2 "Play of the Day" on ESPN's SportsCenter. In skelly drills, cornerback Daryl Brown appeared ready to make the interception, but the Hardin leaped above Brown and snatched the ball right before it reached the defender's hands. It drew a decent ovation from his teammates and coaching staff and was definitely one of those, "Did he just do that?" moments.
What's on tap for Friday
A full pad practice is on the slate for Friday morning to be followed by more lifting and film work in the afternoon. The third installment of "Team Time" will also be administered by radio color man Mike Berg.
Student-Athlete Spotlight: No. 85 Seth Stanchik
It has been a slow climb for senior Seth Stanchik to the top spot on the depth chart at left defensive end, but that is where the Hudson, Wis., native finds himself entering fall camp and the 2013 season. He's another hard-nosed, blue-collar type from Wisconsin like yesterday's spotlight athlete Brian Otto, who has paid his dues and is ready to see what he can do for UND in his final season.
Stanchik's journey to this point nearly came to abrupt end, however, so to be here in his current position is extra special. It was his redshirt freshman season in 2010 and he broke his leg on a pass rush against Cal Poly. UND's defense sacked the Mustangs' quarterback, but Stanchik was lost for the season and nearly half of the 2011 campaign as he struggled to get back to health.
His motto will sound cliche, but when you've gone through the rehab he has in order to get to where he is now, fans will quickly understand why the, "play every down like it's your last" is something Stanchik abides by.
"When I broke my leg, that could have been it for me, but I worked hard to get back to where I am now," he said. "So, yeah, just play every play like it's your last. You never know when it will be."
And, it's the 94 players and coaching staff around them that did not let him give up.
"It's the whole team," Stanchik said. "I like the togetherness of this team. You have 94 brothers out here with you. That makes you work hard right there to do your best for them because you know they are going to do their best for you. That is what really pushes me and kept me working hard."
Stanchik has made 21 career tackles and that number will likely increase as he is in line to be a key fixture on the defensive front in 2013. And, the best part is, he's healthy and ready to do just that.
"I'm very excited," he said of the upcoming season. "Now that I'm a senior, I'm ready to take that starting role and lead the defensive line into this season. Hopefully, we can win a Big Sky Championship because that'd be a great way to end it."
Fall Camp Schedule
|Date||Times (Practice #)|
|Sat., Aug. 3||9:15 a.m. (1)|
|Sun, Aug. 4||9:15 a.m. (2)|
|Mon., Aug. 5||9:15 a.m. (3)|
|Tues., Aug. 6||9:15 a.m. (4)|
|Wed., Aug. 7||9:15 a.m. (5)|
|Thur., Aug. 8||9:15 a.m. (6)|
|3:15 p.m. (7)|
|Fri., Aug. 9||9:15 a.m. (8)|
|Sat., Aug. 10||9:15 a.m. (9)|
|3:15 p.m. (10)|
|Mon., Aug. 12||9:15 a.m. (11)|
|Tues., Aug. 13||9:15 a.m. (12)|
|3:15 p.m. (13)|
|Wed., Aug. 14||9:15 a.m. (14)|
|Thurs. Aug. 15||9:15 a.m. (15)|
|3:15 p.m. (16)|
|Fri., Aug. 16||9:15 a.m. (17)|
|Sat., Aug. 17||9:15 a.m. (18)|
|3:15 p.m. (19)|
|Mon., Aug. 19||9:15 a.m. (20)|
|Tues., Aug. 20||9:15 a.m. (21)|
|3:15 p.m. (22)|
|Wed., Aug. 21||9:15 a.m. (23)|
|Thur., Aug. 22||9:15 a.m. (24)*|
|Fri., Aug. 23||9:15 a.m. (25)*|
|Sun., Aug. 25||3:15 p.m. (26)*|
|Mon., Aug. 26||2:30 p.m. (27)*|
|Tues., Aug. 27||3:25 p.m. (28)*|
|Wed., Aug. 28||4 p.m. (29)*|
* All practices will be at Memorial Stadium except Aug. 24-28* (Alerus Center)
Starting at $75 per seat, season tickets for UND’s 2013 football season are now available. The seven-game home schedule is the best of the DI era and features matchups with four preseason top 10 teams: South Dakota State, Montana, Montana State, and Eastern Washington. Fans can save over 50 percent off single-game ticket prices by reserving your season tickets today. Place your orders by visiting UNDsports.com or calling 701-777-4582.