Each day of fall camp, the staff at UNDSports.com will put together a daily report and feature a student-athlete in its #BrickByBrick countdown. Stay tuned to the official website, Instagram (UNDFootball) and Twitter (@UNDFootball) for all the up-to-date information leading up to the season opener vs. Valparaiso on Aug. 29.
COUNTDOWN TO KICKOFF: 11 Days
2013 Media Day Booklet (contains roster, depth chart, bios, 2012 stats)
The North Dakota football team ended the hottest day of fall camp so far with a 15-minute live session where head coach Chris Mussman challenged his team to play with a sense or urgency. He warned the players that two-deep positions could be decided based on the performances he saw during the live drills.
- Redshirt freshman Joe Mollberg led the first-team offense down the field on the opening series. Video might show that was he tagged up by a defender before getting off a deep touchdown pass to sophomore Kenny Golladay, but that play ended a series where senior running back Jake Miller looked sharp.
- After being tackled for a loss by redshirt freshman Alec Carrothers on the first play, Miller responded by netting 13 yards on the next carry and three more on his third to keep the drive alive. The Bismarck native then reeled off about a 30-yard jaunt before being pushed out of bounds.
- The defense forced three turnovers during the live session. Senior defensive tackle E.J. Welch fell on a fumble and freshman Cam Kuksa and junior Tyrhe Ivery both came up with interceptions. Kuksa's interception was of the highlight variety as he made a leaping, one-handed grab on a ball that appeared at first to be harmlessly falling incomplete.
- On the play prior to his interception, the Illinois native made a nice open-field tackle on junior Adam Shaugabay in the offensive backfield.
- The longest run from scrimmage came on a quarterback keeper by Kurt Palandech. The freshman signal caller showed off his speed by cutting back and nearly going the distance before redshirt freshman Dan Konowalski tripped him up after about a 60-yard gain.
What's on tap for Tuesday
Players were urged to drink plenty of fluids because the temperatures are only going to get hotter in Grand Forks and the final two-a-day of fall camp is scheduled for Tuesday.
Student-Athlete Spotlight: No. 71 Brandon Anderson
Among the five players slated to start along UND's offensive line, sophomore Brandon Anderson is the youngest, but also one of the most experienced. He started all 11 games at three different positions along the front line.
“I feel like I got a good feel for the game last season and I can instruct people better this season. I learned a lot in those 11 games with all the reps that I got," Anderson said. "Now, I can take that into practice and pass it onto the other guys on the o-line.
"I know the guys in my class are stepping up now, so I can pass that information onto them and help those guys out because it is a little bit different than practice.”
All Anderson knew when he arrived at UND from Sartell (Minn.) High School was that he was pencilled into redshirt during the 2011 season. He did just that, learning the ropes from a veteran group that helped UND win a share of the Great West Conference title that season.
Last season, he shared a lot of reps at left guard - the position where he started nine of his 11 games - with junior Shea Walker. Anderson was happy to be eased into that role.
“I was glad to be able to break into the lineup and split some reps with Shea last season," he said. "that felt good to play and learn a lot by splitting reps, so I wasn’t too overwhelmed. Now, I’m ready to take on more a leadership role on the offensive line.”
With a year of starting under his belt, Anderson displayed his leadership skills this summer.
“I was here all summer. I was actually one of the “warriors”, so I didn’t miss a work out and I was here every day," he said. "We did some offensive line drills on some days after lifts, so it was good to be here and get that extra work in.”
One area of being an offensive lineman where you have to improve outside of the weight room is in your technique. Anderson is a student of the game and likes to watch what NFL offensive lineman do technique wise.
“You always watch and see what those guys are doing," he said. "They are definitely some big boys, so you can learn a lot by watching them. I like to watch their techniques because that is basically what separates them from being in the NFL to not being in the NFL. That is what I’ve been focusing on – getting my technique better.”
It will be intriguing to see just how much No. 71 has improved. There is no doubting his commitment and the experience gained by starting right away last season will only help him as he anchors down the left guard spot on UND's offensive line.
Fall Camp Schedule
|Date||Times (Practice #)|
|Sat., Aug. 3||9:15 a.m. (1)|
|Sun, Aug. 4||9:15 a.m. (2)|
|Mon., Aug. 5||9:15 a.m. (3)|
|Tues., Aug. 6||9:15 a.m. (4)|
|Wed., Aug. 7||9:15 a.m. (5)|
|Thur., Aug. 8||9:15 a.m. (6)|
|3:15 p.m. (7)|
|Fri., Aug. 9||9:15 a.m. (8)|
|Sat., Aug. 10||9:15 a.m. (9)|
|3:15 p.m. (10)|
|Mon., Aug. 12||9:15 a.m. (11)|
|Tues., Aug. 13||9:15 a.m. (12)|
|3:15 p.m. (13)|
|Wed., Aug. 14||9:15 a.m. (14)|
|Thurs. Aug. 15||9:15 a.m. (15)|
|3:15 p.m. (16)|
|Fri., Aug. 16||9:15 a.m. (17)|
|Sat., Aug. 17||9:15 a.m. (18)|
|3:15 p.m. (19)|
|Mon., Aug. 19||9:15 a.m. (20)|
|Tues., Aug. 20||9:15 a.m. (21)|
|3:15 p.m. (22)|
|Wed., Aug. 21||9:15 a.m. (23)|
|Thur., Aug. 22||9:15 a.m. (24)*|
|Fri., Aug. 23||9:15 a.m. (25)*|
|Sun., Aug. 25||3:15 p.m. (26)*|
|Mon., Aug. 26||2:30 p.m. (27)*|
|Tues., Aug. 27||3:25 p.m. (28)*|
|Wed., Aug. 28||4 p.m. (29)*|
* All practices will be at Memorial Stadium except Aug. 24-28* (Alerus Center)
Starting at $75 per seat, season tickets for UND’s 2013 football season are now available. The seven-game home schedule is the best of the DI era and features matchups with four preseason top 10 teams: South Dakota State, Montana, Montana State, and Eastern Washington. Fans can save over 50 percent off single-game ticket prices by reserving your season tickets today. Place your orders by visiting UNDsports.com or calling 701-777-4582.