GRAND FORKS, N.D. – The University of North Dakota’s 400-plus student-athletes combined to achieve a 3.177 grade-point average during the 2013-14 academic year, the highest recorded single-year GPA in the history of UND Athletics. The previous record of 3.173 was set in 2011-12.
“Another year and another exceptional academic performance by our student-athletes,” said UND Athletics Director Brian Faison. “We are so proud of the job our student-athletes do in balancing athletics and academics. At the University of North Dakota, ‘student’ really does come first in ‘student-athlete.’”
Seventeen of UND’s 21 teams boasted a 2013-14 GPA of 3.0 or better, led by women’s cross country (3.473), women’s swimming & diving (3.427), women’s hockey (3.425), men’s golf (3.424), women’s indoor track (3.417) and women’s outdoor track (3.417).
Additionally, 65 percent of UND’s student-athletes (266 out of 411) achieved a 3.0 GPA or higher during the Spring 2014 semester, 54 of whom boasted a perfect 4.0. Eighteen of those student-athletes own a cumulative 4.0 GPA.
“It was another amazing year,” said Amanda Hajdu, UND Assistant Athletics Director for Academic Services. “Our student-athletes – and coaches, too – are dedicated to success in the classroom on the way to earning their degrees. It’s definitely something our athletics department is proud of.”
The record-breaking GPA punctuated another year of academic achievement for UND’s student-athletes. Also of note in 2013-14:
- Shelby Amsley-Benzie (hockey), Nick Mattson (hockey), Ronni Munkeby (volleyball) and Patrick Riewer (baseball) each earned CoSIDA Academic All-America honors
- Those four, plus Lauren Clarke (volleyball), Jimmy Evers (track) and Erin Wysocki
(track/cross country), were named CoSIDA Academic All-District
- Mattson was the national men’s hockey recipient for the NCAA Elite 89 Award
- UND’s softball and men’s cross country teams earned NCAA Public Recognition Awards
- The men’s and women’s swimming & diving teams both earned fall and winter CSCAA Scholar All-America Team Awards
- Men’s and women’s cross country were named USTFCCCA All-Academic Teams
- Freshman golfer Danielle DelGreco was named a WGCA All-American Scholar
- 173 student-athletes earned academic all-conference honors
- Sixty-seven student-athletes were named to UND’s Spring 2014 Dean’s List and 43 were named to the President’s Honor Roll