OMAHA, Neb.-- The University of North Dakota women's tennis team earned a pair of singles wins and secured the top doubles match but fell, 5-2, to host Creighton Friday afternoon.
The duo of Carmen Palumbo and Preethi Kasilingam provided the points for the Fighting Hawks. The pair won their doubles match, 6-4, over the top doubles duo of Ashley Ishimura and Darby Rosette. However, the Blue Jays won both the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches the take the doubles point.
In singles, Kasilingam was a straight-sets winner at No. 3 with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Rosette. The top singles match featured Palumbo winning a deciding set. After taking the first set handily, 6-1, Palumbo dropped the second set, 7-5 to force a third and deciding set. In that deciding superset, the McLean, Va., freshman scored a 10-5 victory to take the singles point.
Friday's competition kickstarts a three-match road swing for the Fighting Hawks. UND (0-2) plays Drake Saturday evening followed by Omaha Sunday morning.
Creighton 5, North Dakota 2
Feb 2, 2018 at Omaha, Neb. (Hanscom Tennis Center)
1. Palumbo, Carmen (UND) def. Ashley Ishimura (CU) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Michaela Henne (CU) def. Sullivan, Isa (UND) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kasilingam, Preethi (UND) def. Darby Rosette (CU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Erin Epperson (CU) def. Yasunaga, Jaylee (UND) 6-1, 6-0
5. Claire Embree (CU) def. Finnigan, Zahra (UND) 6-1, 6-1
6. Laura Higueras (CU) def. Revenig, Alex (UND) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Palumbo, Carmen/Kasilingam, Preethi (UND) def. Ashley Ishimura/Darby Rosette (CU) 6-4
2. Claire Embree/Michaela Henne (CU) def. Sullivan, Isa/Yasunaga, Jaylee (UND) 6-2
3. Laura Higueras/Erin Epperson (CU) def. Finnigan, Zahra/Lobanova, Masha (UND) 6-1
North Dakota 0-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,4,2,3,1,6)