Memorial Stadium is the most historic building among the University of North Dakota athletic facilities. It boasts a rich and colorful history that continues today, serving as the home for North Dakota football.
From 1927-2000, the 10,000-seat Memorial Stadium was the home to UND football games. Today, the team still operates out of the facility, utilizing the Sprinturf artificial surface and adjacent natural grass for practice. The Fighting Sioux locker rooms, coaching offices, weight room, equipment and meeting rooms are all located inside the stadium.
The stadium also serves as home to the men's and women's track team, who use the facility for home events and practice.
The football team has since moved indoors to the Alerus Center to play home games, but the tradition and history are still alive in Memorial Stadium. The Fighting Sioux posted a 247-88-9 record (.731) in 72 seasons at Memorial Stadium, but lost the first and last games played there. In the first game at the stadium (Oct. 8, 1927), UND lost 7-0 to Creighton. In the last game (Oct. 28, 2000), the Fighting Sioux lost 35-23 to Augustana.
Built in 1927 as a memorial to members of the University of North Dakota community who died during World War I, the facility was one of the first examples of the Late Gothic Revival architectural design on campus. "Turrets" at the ends of the grandstands and solid massing give it the appearance of a fortress.
In 1985, the stadium underwent renovations to install an artificial turf playing surface and an all-weather, eight-lane running track. Renovations of office space also have taken place. A new artificial turf was installed prior to the 1998 season, and the current turf was installed in 2007.
The stadium also serves as home to a variety of UND campus events. For example, the stadium hosts the UND Relay for Life and annual Malpractice Bowl, a flag football game between the UND Law and Medical schools. The stadium has also hosted the North Dakota Boys and Girls State Track Meet and the North Dakota Special Olympics Summer Games. In the summer of 1990 and 1996, Memorial Stadium also played host to the Prarie Rose State Games.