|FRONT ROW (L to R): Darren Jensen, Rick Zaparniuk, Rick Myers, Dean Dachyshyn, Marc Chorney, Mark Taylor, Mel Donnelly, head coach Gino Gasparini, Bob Iwabuchi, Erwin Martens, Phil Sykes, Mike Neitzke, Doug Smail, Brad Cox, Pierre Lamoureux; BACK ROW: Equipment manager Dave Kamrowski, athletic trainer A.G. Edwards, assistant coach Rick Wilson, Glen White, Troy Magnuson, Paul Chadwick, Mickey Volcan, Craig Ludwig, Gary Gangelhoff, Travis Dunn, Glen Fester, Cary Eades, Howard Walker, Conway Marvin, Frank Burggraf, Dusty Carroll, student athletic trainer Todd Jorgenson, assistant equipment manager Paul Olmstead, assistant coach Jim Nelson|
Northern Michigan vs. North Dakota
March 29, 1980
Providence Civic Center, Providence, R.I. (6,056)
1st Period - UND: Doug Smail (Phil Sykes, Mark Taylor) 9:43; UND: Doug Smail (Phil Sykes, Travis Dunn) 12:48
2nd Period - UND: Doug Smail (Phil Sykes) 3:12
3rd Period - UND: Phil Sykes (unassisted) 8:42; NMU: Bill Joyce (Don Waddell, Tom Laidlaw) 14:29; NMU: Terry Houck (Keith Hanson, Je Pyle) 15:20; UND: Doug Smail (Phil Sykes, Frank Burggraf ) 18:21
Penalties: UND 10-20; NMU 8-16
Shots: UND 13-20-12--45; NMU 5-5-12--22
Saves: UND Jensen 5-5-10--20; NMU Weeks 11-19-10--40
- The 16-year drought without a NCAA Championship ended in 1980. The previous year, 1978-79, saw the Sioux losing 4-3 to Minnesota in the title game.
- In 1980 head coach Gino Gasparini led the Sioux to the rst of three championships they would win under his leadership.
- North Dakota had lost twice earlier in the season to Northern Michigan.
- Mark Taylor, Vancouver, B.C., and Howard Walker, Grande Paririe, Alberta, were named rst team All-Americans.
- Strangely enough, captain Mark Taylor, who led the Sioux with 92 points would only play part of the rst period of the championship game before being injured and forced to leave the game.
- Doug Smail, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, was named the NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player.
- Smail, Marc Chorney, Thunder Bay, Ontario, and Phil Sykes, Dawson Creek, B.C., were named to the NCAA All-Tournament Team.
- Smail was the fi rst UND player to score four goals in an NCAA Championship game.
- UND fi rst-year goaltender Darren Jensen, Creston, B.C., made 20 saves in the win, ending his season with a 13-0-1 record.
- The WCHA title winners had only two players, Taylor and Walker, named All-WCHA.
- UND had only won one (Dec. 28, 1977, 8-4) of the four games in UND history against the Wildcats prior to playing for the 1980 Championship.