GRAND FORKS, N.D. – The University of North Dakota’ student-athletes combined for a 3.159 collective grade-point average during the Spring 2018 semester and a 3.148 GPA for the entire 2017-18 academic year, according to data released on Tuesday by the UND Athletics Department.
North Dakota’s student-athletes have now achieved a collective GPA of 3.0 or higher in 20 consecutive semesters since the University transitioned to Division I in 2008-09.
“Congratulations to our student-athletes and coaches on their commitment to academics this year. Every year our student-athletes are dedicated and motivated to succeed by balancing their time commitments and have done so for 20 straight semesters,” said UND Assistant Athletics Director for Academic Services Amanda Hajdu.
Sixty-seven percent of UND’s student-athletes (235 out of 350) achieved a 3.0 semester GPA during the spring semester, including 66 who boasted a perfect 4.0. Additionally, twelve of UND’s 15 teams had a GPA of 3.0 or greater during the 2017-18 academic year, led by women’s golf (3.626), women’s cross country (3.563), women’s tennis (3.445) and volleyball (3.391).
Other notable academic achievements to date in 2017-18 have included:
- Fifty-one student-athlete were candidates for degrees, including 41 during spring commencement.
- Four teams (men’s cross country, women’s cross country, men’s golf, men’s track & field) earned NCAA Public Recognition Awards, the most in the Big Sky Conference for the fourth straight year.
- Three teams earned perfect Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores: men’s cross country, women’s cross country, men’s golf
- Senior softball player Taylor Nadler was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-America First Team.
- Approximately one-third of UND’s student-athletes (113 out of 350) have earned Big Sky or NCHC academic all-conference honors (with Big Sky spring and NCHC freshmen honorees yet to be named).
- Junior Katie Moller was the first player in UND history named to the United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division I Women’s Scholar All-West Region Team.