GRAND FORKS, N.D. - The University of North Dakota men’s tennis team was defeated by Northern Arizona, 5-2, on Friday afternoon at Choice Health & Fitness.
The Fighting Hawks collected wins in No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches to begin the dual meet and clinch the first point. All three doubles matches were highly competitive and close finishes.
In singles competition, Travis Lau won 7-6 in the first set in No. 2 singles, but NAU’s Travis Lucas had to retire the second match due to injury, which resulted in a 2-0 lead for UND.
Northern Arizona defeated North Dakota in the remaining matches to be awarded five points and an overall team victory.
Senior Dustin Britton posted a strong showing in No. 1 singles against Tim Handel, dropping the first set 7-5, coming back in the second set 6-4, but ultimately dropping the final set 10-6 in a quick set.
North Dakota continues their action at home tomorrow evening at 5p.m. against Concordia College also at Choice Health & Fitness.
Northern Arizona 5, North Dakota 2
1. Handel,Tim (NAU) def. Britton, Dustin (UND) 7-5, 6-4, 10-6
2. Lau, Travis (UND) def. Taylor,Lucas (NAU) 7-6 (6-2), retired
3. Eguez,Sebastian (NAU) def. Misialek, Ty (UND) 6-3, 7-5
4. Schumann,Felix (NAU) def. Danyluk, Simon (UND) 6-3, 6-2
5. Montano,Ruben (NAU) def. Mailes, Alex (UND) 6-1, 6-3
6. Nguyen,David (NAU) def. Hokanson, Matt (UND) 6-3, 6-0