GRAND FORKS, N.D. - The University of North Dakota men's tennis team dropped a Big Sky Conference dual to Idaho State, 6-1, Thursday afternoon at Choice Health & Fitness.
The day started out with Idaho State taking two of the three doubles matches, thus clinching the doubles point to get them a 1-0 lead.
The score doesn't tell the whole story, as the Fighting Hawks put up a lot of stiff competition on the day. Three of the six matches went into extra sets, while two sets went into a tie-breaker. The matches that went into three sets ended up playing quick games, which records a point each score and goes to ten.
Althought competition was stiff and games could have gone either way, UND's Davide Callegari was the lone Fighting Hawk to record a point on the day. Callegari, who dropped the first set, came back from one down and an apparent injury to win the second set 6-4, and the final quick set 10-8 in No. 4 singles. Lukas Buth and Alex Mailes also went into three sets and both, unfortunetly, lost heartbreakers.
The Fighting Hawks continue play at home on Saturday against South Dakota State at 5:00pm at Choice Health & Fitness
Idaho State 6, North Dakota 1
- TRHAC, Peter (ISU) def. Buth, Lukas (UND) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-3
- FELIX, David (ISU) def. Laska, Annei (UND) 6-2, 7-5
- EDIN, William (ISU) def. Martinez, Daniel (UND) 6-3, 6-2
- Callegari, Davide (UND) def. FILIPOVICH, Francis (ISU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
- HORNBY, Adam (ISU) def. Mailes, Alex (UND) 7-6 (7-4), 5-7, 10-8
- SULLIVAN, Keegan (ISU) def. Terrell, Hunter (UND) 6-3, 6-4