GRAND FORKS, N.D. - The University of North Dakota men's tennis team closed out their '17-'18 season with a 5-2 win over Northern Colorado Sunday morning at Choice Health & Fitness.
Being a tough season for North Dakota, the men wanted to finish with a W and that is just what they did. The Fighting Hawks took two of the three doubles matches in order to clinch the first point.
In singles action, UND posted wins in four of the six matches to claim the win over the Bears.
Lone senior Daniel Martinez, was able to close out his collegiate career with a win ober Nick Wade in No. 3 singles action. Lukas Buth closed out his season on a six match win streak in singles and doubles; he defeated Connor Finerty 6-2, 6-2 in No. 1 singles. Davide Callegari also took it to the Bears in a tiebreaker by topping Michael Kritzinger 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) in No. 4 singles; he ended his season on a three match win streak in singles action. Ben Yeacker was the last Fighting Hawk to get a win on the day as he topped Cassell King 6-3, 6-4 to also close out this season on a three match win streak in singles.
The Fighting Hawks closed out their season on a three match team win streak with an overall record of 5-12 and a 2-8 conference record for the 2017-2018 season.
North Dakota 5, Northern Colorado 2
- Buth, Lukas (UND) def. Finerty, Connor (NC) 6-2, 6-2
- Pease, Kyle (NC) def. Laska, Annei (UND) 6-2, 0-6, 6-1
- Martinez, Daniel (UND) def. Wade, Nick (NC) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
- Callegari, Davide (UND) def. Kritzinger, Michael (NC) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
- Exsted, Alex (NC) def. Mailes, Alex (UND) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Yeacker, Ben (UND) def. King, Cassell (NC) 6-3, 6-4
- Martinez, Daniel/Buth, Lukas (UND) def. King, Cassell/Finerty, Connor (NC) 6-3
- Pease, Kyle/Wade, Nick (NC) def. Callegari, Davide/Mailes, Alex (UND) 6-4
- Laska, Annei/Yeacker, Ben (UND) def. Kritzinger, Michael/Exsted, Alex (NC) 6-1